The Maintenance Technician reports to the Property Manager under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor and performs general maintenance and repair to ensure apartment units and other property facilities are in good working order.
Responsibilities include diagnosing, troubleshooting, and repairing heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) units; electrical appliances, outlets, and light fixtures; plumbing, carpentry, and locks. The Maintenance Technician follows a planned preventative maintenance schedule and follows up with residents after repairs are complete. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assisting with preparing vacant apartment units for rental and landscape and renovation projects.
LocationColumbia, South Carolina
Roles & Responsibilities
- Receives requests for service maintenance, prioritizes work orders and handles each in the most efficient manner
- Performs minor electrical repairs and replacement of light fixtures and related items
- Examines and diagnoses problems with heating, ventilation and air conditioning units
- Makes repairs and/or replacements according to standard
- Performs preventative maintenance on HVAC units by replacing filters, cleaning coils, etc.
- Repairs and replaces furnished kitchen appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers
- Performs minor to moderate-level plumbing repairs, replacements, and/or installations including repairing leaks and removing clogs in sinks and toilets
- May perform painting projects ranging from full interior painting of property units to minor touch up and repair of walls and woodwork
- Perform “make ready” projects for the preparation of vacant units available for prospective tenants
- Perform swimming pool maintenance or other facility and/or landscape projects to ensure property aesthetics meet or exceed standards
- Adheres to DBC’s safety and hazard communications programs, policies and procedures and maintains a safe work environment
- Works irregular hours (evenings, weekends), including on-call and overtime hours, as required
- Operates a motor vehicle to transport tools and materials between work sites
Qualficiations & Skills
- High school diploma/GED and one to three years of experience in facility maintenance and/or mechanical repair required
- HVAC experience required
- Universal and/or Pool Certification required at hire
- Valid driver’s license from the state of residence required
- Associate degree in a related technical or mechanical field preferred
- Commercial maintenance experience with plumbing, electrical, and janitorial strongly preferred
- Knowledge and skills to operate common and specialized tools for repairs and maintenance
- Ability to visually inspect units, grounds, and other aspects of the property to determine adherence to standards
- Thorough knowledge of heating and air conditioning unit maintenance, trouble shooting, and repair
- General knowledge of the repair and maintenance of appliances, lighting fixtures, and plumbing
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety regulations and precautions
- Skill and ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally and in writing with professionalism when interacting with tenants and property management
- Knowledge and skills to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply written instructions for repair and maintenance of equipment
- Basic computer/technical skills to operate mobile computing or communications devices
- Sit, stand, bend, walk use hands and fingers to control objects, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs and ladders, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, and hear.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds individually and up to 100 pounds with assistance devices (dollies, hand trucks, additional persons)
- Must be able to see and read to complete forms, read reports, and visually determine the correct working order of physical aspect of units and other property facilities
- Primarily works in an outdoor environment exposed to adverse weather conditions as well as dirt and/or dust